Café Royal Books: Repro Show.
Open: 24th November- 12th December 2016
- Using ‘the gallery’ as a project space.
- ‘Dematerialising the art object’ (Lippard, Lucy R. Six Years: The Dematerialization of the Art Object from 1966 to 1972. University of California Press, 1997).
- Democratising the art object.
- Creating informal artists multiples.
- Placing emphasis on the image not the form.
- Dissemination of art, internationally, quickly, and using accessible means and processes to create art.
Repro show will include many forms of artwork. Text based, appropriated, drawing, notes, sculpture, documentation, print, publications, multiples, audio, public art…
Some of the work will have been used, published or shown before — some new, unseen or found. The context in this case is the autonomous image, and the collective processes of the project being developed, displayed, recorded and published. Any previous context, meaning or reason for the works included is irrelevant to this project.
All work selected for inclusion in the show is standardised by printing black on ISO sized paper using a photocopier and being taped to the wall.
The exhibition will be updated and added to throughout the show, up to December 15th. The project will be documented and displayed / archived online. There will be a publication made of the project in the New Year.
The gallery will become an experimental space, presenting international works that would otherwise not be placed together. Away from their original context, sequenced, and unified by a simple print process and display mechanism.